EXTERNAL/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT SLRCS/ORGANISATIONAL DEV/2017 003
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a humanitarian organisation that believes every human being is entitled to a life of dignity and opportunity. With the help of our partners, staff and volunteers, we work in vulnerable communities to improve the lives of vulnerable Sierra Leoneans.
SLRCS is seeking talented, hard-working and dynamic Sierra Leoneans for the position of Head of Procurement
Date required: April 2017 Duty station: Freetown with frequent travels to the provinces as required
Grade: Management 3 Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with possible extension based on performance
Position Summary: Responsible to the Director of Strategic Partnership & Support for the design, development, implementation and coordination of a responsive supply chain management policy and systems aligned to the strategic plan and aimed at cost-effective and timely acquisition and delivery of materials, goods and supplies. Specific duties include procurement, receipt and verification of supplies, warehousing and inventory management, coordinating logistics to ensure timely distribution of relief supplies to regions and branches, responsible for effective fleet maintenance and disposal of obsolete items and property management and maintenance
Main duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and evaluate a strategic supply chain management plan and budget to support the execution of the society’s strategic plan.
- Direct and support the review of existing internal procurement policies and manuals
- Develop, implement and evaluate an effective procurement plan and tender specification for purchasing supplies and equipment in line with the approved budget
- Develop and implement and effective procurement information system for monitoring and tracking costs of materials, goods and services in order to control expenditure and ensure efficient use of the organisational resources.
- Participate in contract negotiations with suppliers and contractors and following up to ensure that all contractual obligations are fulfilled and are cost-effective.
- Carry out all procurement duties in line with the National Procurement Act of 2016
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of procurement staff to ensure that candidates selected have the required job competencies and are provided with orientation and induction programme necessary for effective job performance.
- Conduct training needs assessment, design and implement training programmes aimed at equipping staff with appropriate job competencies in order to improve the design and delivery of high quality services.
- Represent the society at meetings, conferences and workshops
- Prepare periodic progress reports and annual reports showing departmental achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variances and areas of improvement.
- Participate in performance management programmes in order to ensure continuous monitoring and measurement against realistic targets.
- Coordinate procurement selection meetings with respective procurement committee members to consider tender applications against approved technical specifications and with due required to market price, cost, quality and speed of delivery as well as economy of operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Strong communication and presentation skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic and political issues.
- Ability to empower programme staff through coaching and counselling by emphasising accountability and results oriented management rather than direct supervision and control of progamme design and implementation.
- Sound knowledge of Government’s procurement practices and policies
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and utilization of the internet.
- Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement as well as work in accordance with SLRCS’ Mission, Vision, Policies and Practices.
Minimum Qualifications: University degree in any of the Management Sciences or equivalent qualifications with over three years working experience in similar position.
Applications should be forwarded under confidential cover marked the position you have applied for with an up-to-date C.V, names of two referees (none relatives) and supporting documents to the HR/Admin Coordinator, 6 Liverpool Street, Freetown. Closing date for receipt of applications: March 24, 2017 at noon.
SLRCS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER