EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT SLRCS/ORGANISATIONAL DEV/2017 004
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a humanitarian organisation that believes every human being is entitled to a life of dignity and opportunity. With the help of our partners, staff and volunteers, we work in vulnerable communities to improve the lives of vulnerable Sierra Leoneans.
SLRCS is seeking talented, hard-working and dynamic Sierra Leoneans for the position of Internal Auditor
Date required: April 2017 Duty station: Freetown with frequent travels to the provinces as required
Grade: Senior 1 Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with possible extension based on performance
Position Summary: Responsible to the Secretary General for developing and implementing a comprehensive loss and waste prevention programme through independent. Systematic and objective audit reviews of operating business processes and procedures. Continuously assesses the effectiveness of controls and degree of compliance to regulatory and statutory requirements. Other duties include preparing audit reports and develop recommendations to help improve the quality of service delivery systems.
Main duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement internal audit strategy and budgets aligned to the Society’s strategic plan.
- Determine the adequacy of internal controls by conducting internal audits of the controls, financial records, administrative procedures and operations of core business activities as well as management support services.
- Examine and inspect activity records, accounting systems and procedures relating to equipment, physical facilities, including property to determine their efficiency and protective value.
- Monitor the implementation of all policies to ensure compliance.
- Analyse data for evidence of deficiencies in control, duplication of effort, extravagance, fraud or lack of compliance with approved policies, may be required to interact with suppliers to verify records.
- Conduct special audits to investigate and discover the mechanics of detected fraud prevention and provide suggestions for improving accountability and performance
- Assemble materials for and assist external audit and law enforcement agencies in conducting audits, substantiate compilation and analytical review with supporting work papers for auditors, may be required to testify in court of law or tribunal.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of staff in order to ensure that the candidates selected have the required job competencies and are provided with a job orientation and induction programme necessary for effective performance
- Participate in staff performance assessment, ensure staff performance is continuously monitored and measured against realist but challenging targets.
- Assess training needs, build staff capacity in internal audit control and ethical business conduct
- To undertake any other relevant duties within the overall scope of this post as may be required by the Line Manager
- Prepare concept papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements of the internal audit function
- Represent the Society at meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums to promote and articulate issues related to humanitarian relief
- Sound knowledge of audit practices and procedures
- Strong communication and presentation skills in English.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and utilization of the internet.
- Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement as well as work in accordance with SLRCS’ Mission, Vision, Policies and Practices.
Minimum Qualifications: B. Sc. In Applied Accounting/Financial Services or equivalent qualifications with over three years working experience in similar position.
Applications should be forwarded under confidential cover marked the position you have applied for with an up-to-date C.V, names of two referees (none relatives) and supporting documents to the HR/Admin Coordinator, 6 Liverpool Street, Freetown. Closing date for receipt of applications: March 24, 2017 at noon.
SLRCS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER