Reports To: Secretary General of Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a humanitarian organisation that believes every human being is entitled to a life of dignity and opportunity. With the help of our partners, staff and volunteers, we work in vulnerable communities to improve the lives of vulnerable Sierra Leoneans.
SLRCS is seeking talented, hard-working and dynamic Sierra Leoneans for the position of Director Communication.
Date required: July 2018 Duty station: Freetown with frequent travels to the provinces as
Grade: Management 2 Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with possible extension based on performance
2. Job Summary:
• Responsible for the effective design, development, implementation and evaluation of effective public relations & communications strategies aimed at promoting and enhancing the Society’s image in order to create good-will and build credibility.
• Development and implement the SLRCS`s communications policy and strategy, working closely with the Chief Executive, the relevant Committees and colleagues.
• Manage business and marketing functions including media and campaigns, publishing, web, public affairs and stakeholders, events, internal and external communications and projects which are managed by the Resource Mobilisation Coordinator, First Aid and the Marketing Officers.
• Mobilize and support the society’s leadership to identify, capture and develop new communication, media and public relations avenues, ensure effective strategies, donor relationship; supervise and develop a highly effective and responsive communication and community engagement team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Identify and manage business development plans, and performance and service delivery improvement plans and deliver these in support of the SLRCS’s overall communications objectives.
• Draft overall communications strategy for SLRCS, ensuring a positive corporate identity is created, and ensures all volunteers and staff are aware of the strategy.
• Monitor the organisation’s corporate image with key stakeholders and the public.
• Develop and implement a communications policy and a strategy to support the organization’s mission, goals and objectives.
• Maintain effective media relations, prepare news releases, fact sheets, talking points, establish and maintain regular contact with media representatives and also promptly respond to requests for information from the media, other stakeholders and the general public in order to promote the Society’s image and reputation.
• Gather, edit and package communication materials and other publications including publicity materials, posters, speeches, brochures, internet web pages and other publications for internal and external audiences, in order to improve on Resource Mobilization.
• Develop the SLRCS`s strategy and build relationships with key stakeholders, including Government Agencies, departments and other non-state actors, by ensuring that donors are informed of developments including needs of the society.
• Develop proposals, concept papers for funding periodic progress reports and annual reports summaries showing achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for increased confidence and donor support.
• Identifying and soliciting new sources of support by matching SLRCS’s programme interests and core-funding needs with the funding priorities of a broad array of foundations and public donors.
• Provide support to programme officers in the Branches by strengthening their capacity to document and produce stories of key programmes and activities in line with SLRCS policies and donor requirements
• Participate in multidisciplinary teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans and budgets, in order to improve performance standards.
3. POSITION REQUIREMENT
• A University degree in Communication, Mass Communication, English Language or any equivalent relevant social sciences plus relevant years of experience doing successful communication in a humanitarian organisation.
• A postgraduate qualification in a relevant social sciences is an added advantage
At least five years’ experience and doing communication work in a humanitarian
(iii) Required Skills
• Ability to prepare compelling and competitive case or proposal applications for projects contracts.
• Ability to independently initiate projects and activities in an organisation
• Proven ability to co-ordinate media campaigns strategies (internal and external) and to plan, manage and deliver targeted market research programmes
• Proven events management skills and knowledge and the ability to deliver key events successfully.
• Demonstrated high standard of written and analytical skills, and excellent presentation skills (including experience of giving presentations to a wide range of audiences).
• Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
• Sound working knowledge of window based software packages, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, electronic mail, and the internet Explorer
• Overseeing the design, production and copy-writing of all print materials.
Application letters should be forwarded under confidential cover marked the position you have applied for with an updated C.V, names of two referees (none relatives) and supporting documents addressed to:
The Independence Interim Manager
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
6 Liverpool Street
Deadline for submission: 11th July 2018
NOTE: CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE LIMITED TO SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS ONLY. TELEPHONE ENQUIRIES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.