Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a humanitarian organisation that believes every human being is entitled to a life of dignity and opportunity. With the help of our partners, staff and volunteers, we work in vulnerable communities to improve the lives of vulnerable Sierra Leoneans.
SLRCS is seeking talented, hard-working and dynamic Sierra Leoneans for the position of Director of Finance
Date required: July 2018 Duty station: Freetown with frequent travels to the provinces as
Grade: Management 2 Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with possible extension based on performance
The Director of Finance is responsible for Maximizing SLRCS returns on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
• Manage the financial systems and controls of SLRCS to the highest levels of financial probity, accountability and transparency.
• Provide technical and professional leadership in the planning, development and evaluation of an effective accountability system to ensure the prudent management of the financial resources and assets of SLRCS.
• Enforce rigorous financial and systems controls that safeguard the financial resources and assets of SLRCS, prepare timely and accurate monthly financial reports that will be used to appraise the performance of programmes against budget with the SMT.
• Prepare quarterly financial reports for evaluation and discussion with the Secretary General and the Finance Commission and be an active participant during the annual budget setting process, ensuring that strategic objectives match available financial resources and expected funding commitments from Donor Agencies and Development Partners.
2. Main duties and Responsibilities
To manage and account for the financial resources and assets of SLRCS
Supervise the recording of financial information in Microsoft Dynamics Nav so that accurate and timely reports are produced for effective financial management, for the senior management team (SMT), the SLRCS Governing Board, Donor Agencies and Development Partners
Prepare and plan for internal and external audits, liaise with auditors and produce annual financial statements that are suitable for audit
Prepare and monitor cash flow forecasts and recommend corrective actions to avert projected cash flow constraints
Develop strategic financial plans and budget estimates outlining projected sources of revenue and expenditures to achieve targeted outcomes
Maintain stringent controls to ensure that expenditures are within defined budgetary limits, properly authorised and supported by appropriate documentation
Provide strategic financial and professional guidance to senior management and the SLRCS Governing Board to ensure that informed strategic decisions are taken
Accounting policies and procedures should be regularly updated to ensure the efficiency of financial accounting systems and procedures and their compliance to standard accounting principles, procedures and regulations as specified in the Finance Manual and to statutory requirements
Coordinate banking services, reconciliations and the custody of funds, securities and other financial instruments
Develop and implement financial management systems and procedures that improve financial reporting and accounting for acquisitions, maintenance, valuation, depreciation, capitalisation, replacement and disposal of assets
Lead the development and regular update of the Finance Manual to standardize and streamline financial management practices within SLRCS
Monitor capital and operational expenditure against approved budgets so as to understand and investigate significant variances to minimise any recurrence
Participate in contract negotiations with suppliers and contractors to ensure that all contractual obligations are fulfilled cost-effectively
Devise strategies for the management of investments, surpluses, working capital and expenditure on programmes for the consideration of the SLRCS Governing Board
3. POSITION REQUIREMENT
• Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Commerce, or any other relevant field.
• Recognized Professional financial/accountancy qualification; e.g. ICASL, ACCA, ACA.
At least 3 to 5 years work experience in a senior position with the following competencies;
• Experience in financial accounting in a humanitarian organization, commercial enterprise or auditing g firm.
• Competency in financial control and reporting to board-level
• Competency in financial accounting and reporting software; Microsoft Dynamics Nav preferred
• Experience of administrative systems and procedures
• Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principle (GAA).
(iii) Required Skills
• Ability to work within a team management structure and be a team player
• Possess excellent planning and organizational skills
• Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Practical knowledge of computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, accounting and financial software such as Microsoft Dynamics, QuickBooks and Sage).
4. Application letters should be forwarded under confidential cover marked the position you have applied for with an updated C.V, names of two referees (none relatives) and supporting documents addressed to:
The Independent Interim Manager
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
6 Liverpool Street
Deadline for submission: 11th July 2018
NOTE: CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE LIMITED TO SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS ONLY. TELEPHONE ENQUIRIES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.