Reports To: Secretary General of Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a humanitarian organisation that believes every human being is entitled to a life of dignity and opportunity. With the help of our partners, staff and volunteers, we work in vulnerable communities to improve the lives of vulnerable Sierra Leoneans.
SLRCS is seeking talented, hard-working and dynamic Sierra Leoneans for the position of Director of Programmes and Operation
Date required: July 2018 Duty station: Freetown with frequent travels to the provinces as
Grade: Management 2 Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with possible extension based on performance
2. Job Summary:
Responsible to the Secretary General for providing;
• Technical leadership and strategic direction in the design, implementation and evaluation of High quality humanitarian relief and integrated development programme to support needy communities in the area of disaster management, Community Based Health and Humanitarian Values.
• Responsible for integrating and setting goals for programmes according to the strategic objectives of the organization. Planning the programmes from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes developing and approving budgets and operations.
• Supervise a broad range of programmes and volunteer and branch development related activities.
• Developing and coordinating programmatic strategies for tracking, monitoring and evaluating organizational performance against set targets in order to improve the quality and delivery of programme activities and ultimately maximize programme impact.
3. Main duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinate mid-term reviews and evaluation of programme activities and ensure proper documentation of innovative approaches and best practices for dissemination and sharing experiences to promote repeat applications or scaling up in different community setting.
• Coordinate planning and implementation of research studies and surveys commissioned by the Society aimed at strengthening capacity and to influence key humanitarian relief policies.
• Monitor and document adverse work practices or experiences for dissemination and sharing with stakeholders, government agencies, the private sector and other player to ensure implementation of programme that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Develop strategies for strengthening collaborative partnerships and networks with stakeholders, government agencies, the private sector and other players to ensure implementation of programmes that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Coordinate preparation of funding proposals compliance to donor requirements, coordinate timely responses to donor queries as well as ensure that donors are informed of modifications, problems and constraints on programme delivery.
• Create high performing organizational culture based on transparency, integrity, accountability, performance measurement and results to ensure that programme activities are undertaken on sound management principles and practices.
• Monitor challenges in the operating environment to ensure that SLRCS and its regions and branches comply with relevant legislation, policies and guidelines aimed at preventing and
• Develop and implement advocacy programmes with a view to reform laws and policies that hamper humanitarian relief activities to ensure that SLRCS is recognized as the leading humanitarian organization.
• Effectively coordinate the assessment of disasters and other developmental issues in all SLRCS’ operational
4. POSITIONS REQUIREMENT
Holds a University degree in any Social Sciences or equivalent qualification.
At least five years working experience in project management at operational and management level.
(iii) Required Skills:
• Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver the Society’s articulated vision for change and motivate staff to join change efforts.
• Strong communication and presentation skills including the ability to build collaborative relationship with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic and political issues
• Ability to empower programme staff through coaching and counselling by emphasizing accountability and results oriented management rather than direct supervision and control of programme design and implementation.
• Ensuring an appropriate programme or project management framework is in place in cooperating community engagement and accountability.
• Managing programmes and branch and volunteer management teams.
• The Director of Programmes and Operation should have a strategic mindset as well as be able to lead and develop their subordinates, ensuring that every programme will be delivered successfully and add the highest level value to the organization
Application letters should be forwarded under confidential cover marked the position you have applied for with an updated C.V, names of two referees (none relatives) and supporting documents addressed to:
The Independence Interim Manager
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
6 Liverpool Street
Deadline for submission: 11th July 2018
NOTE: CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE LIMITED TO SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS ONLY. TELEPHONE ENQUIRIES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.