REPORTS TO: NATIONAL GOVERNING BOARD OF SIERRA LEONE RED CROSS SOCIETY
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) is a National Society that was constituted on the basis of International and Domestic Law by virtue of the Sierra Leone Government being signatory to the Geneva Conventions which compelled her to establish Sierra Leone Red Cross Society by an Act of Parliament in 1962 (reviewed in 2012), as a voluntary humanitarian relief and development Society, auxiliary to the public authorities in the humanitarian field.The auxiliary status of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to their governments is characterised by a specific legal status, based on International Law, the rules of the Movement and National Legislation of each state.The Sierra Leone Red Cross Society is NOT a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO). It is a National Society enacted by Parliament of Sierra Leone. SLRCS forms part of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), which is the world’s largest humanitarian network operating in 190 countries.
The Secretary-General is the Chief Executive Officer of the SLRCS and is responsible for;
- Managing the operations of the SLRCS and ensuring compliance with approved policies, procedures and standards.
- Guiding and overseeing financial, personnel and administrative functions of the National Society.
- Ensuring timeous reporting to donors, National Governing Board and International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
- Human Capital Management
- Develops and manages human resources by engaging competent and properly trained staff.
- Plans and directs the Society’s work schedule in a manner that optimises its effectiveness, assesses performance on a regular basis, and, where necessary, provide or obtain relevant training for personnel management development.
- Advises the General Assembly on policy and statutory matters.
- Undertakes yearly staff evaluations with all senior staff.
- Manages and develops the human resources (staff and volunteers) available to the society.
- Reports to and attends National Governing Board meetings as an ex-officio member.
- Ensures that the National Governing Board is fully informed of the activities of the National Society.
- Financial Management
- Manages the financial resources of the society through timely preparation of budgets, ensuring proper financial controls, accounting systems and proper authorisation and expenditure procedures are in place, as well as ensuring that the Society’s property and equipment are properly safe guarded , insured and maintained.
- Ensures that the annual financial audits of SLRCS are prepared and carried out.
- Ensures ongoing monitoring, controlling and evaluation procedures of all SLRCS programme in order to optimise the services provided by those programmes.
- Ensures that all funds entrusted to the society is accounted for and used for its expressed purpose.
- Assumes overall responsibility for adherence to financial policies and donor standards.
- Resource Mobilisation
- Initiates and undertakes resource mobilisation and fundraising activities for SLRCS, including corporate sponsorship: manages relationships with donors and other partners
- Ensures that the Society has effective relevant financial, policies approved by the National Governing Board and General Assembly.
- Prepares reports and papers for the National Governing Board meetings.
- Represents SLRCS at high level National, Regional and International meetings
- Leads the implementation of SLRCS strategic goals
- Ensures effective networking, liaison and collaboration with all stakeholders (Development partners, Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs), International Non -Government Organisations (INGOs), Private sector, Local authorities, Media and Communities.
- Establishes sound working relationships, as an auxiliary to Government with all relevant Government Ministries.
- Serves as National Governing Board Secretary.
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Degree in Community Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration or equivalent
- Masters degree will be an added advantage.
- At least ten (10) years work experience in a senior position with the following competencies;
- Proven track record in Programme Management ,Monitoring and Evaluation
- Experience in managing Human and Financial Resources
- Demonstrated skills and experience in strategic management
- Demonstrated fundraising experience
- Proven track record in Institutional strengthening, preferably in a humanitarian organisation.
- Required Skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong Interpersonal communication and negotiation skills in high level settings.
- Experience working with non-governmental organisations
- Ability to work with a Board
- Ability to write project plans and to implement ,monitor and evaluate projects
- Excellent team builder and experience in managing an office and a cohesive team of staff
- High level of maturity and emotional intelligence
Application letters with comprehensive CVs, copies of identity card and at least three (3) traceable references should be addressed to:
National Governing Board
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
6 Liverpool Street
PO BOX 426
Hand deliver to:
Sierra Leone Red Cross Society
6, Liverpool Street
Deadline for submission: 25/05/2018
NOTE: CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE LIMITED TO SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS ONLY.TELEPHONE ENQUIRIES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.